[tweetmeme source=”elizabethev” only_single=false]I was strolling down Main Street in Charlestown when inspiration for the HLS Breakfast Showdown struck. With the Freedom Trail at my feet, and a kitchen stocked with Wild Harvest goodies, I knew what I wanted to whip up.
Wild Harvest, Gold Sponsor of the 2012 Healthy Living Summit, sent this year’s participants ten of their favorite products, with the challenge to create a fun and healthy breakfast using three or more Wild Harvest ingredients.
Freedom Trail Mix Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups trail mix (I used WILD HARVEST organic animal crackers, WILD HARVEST organic raisins, dried Cape Cod cranberries, peanuts, and miniature dark chocolate chips)
- 2 WILD HARVEST organic eggs
- 1 cup WILD HARVEST organic apple sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prep your muffin tins. This recipe yields twelve regular sized muffins and 24 miniature muffins.
- Setting your trail mix aside, combine other dry ingredients and slowly incorporate wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Add in trail mix and stir. And try not to eat the batter.
- Fill each tin 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Why buy a pre-made trail mix when you can get creative and use what’s already in the pantry? Dried fruit, nuts, and dark chocolate are sure bets. I used Wild Harvest’s animal crackers as the base, and felt a bit badly breaking the head off an elephant and the butt off a bison. Oh and yes, vegetarians do eat animal crackers. Using apple sauce instead of butter or oil is a great way to keep your baked goods moist and light. From a little idea on Main Street, these humble muffins hit the spot.
This little breakfast treats are perfect for a morning meal on the go, or for enjoying while sightseeing or strolling. If you’re visiting Boston this summer, the Freedom Trail is not to be missed. The 2.5 mile route covers sixteen historical sites and tells the story of the American Revolution. Pack a snack. Nerds like us shouldn’t have to choose between monuments and monumentally good muffins.
Also On Tap for Today:
- Small kitchens are the coolest
- Checking off a few wedding things 🙂
- Watching the last tall ship leave the Seaport with Clark
What’s On Tap for your weekend?